4.29.2011

LACMA


It recently occurred to me that I'm incredibly fortunate to be pursuing my entrepreneurial dreams. I know that sounds so, so lame. The odd thing was how quietly this dawned on me. And it took me a long time to realize it too because quite frankly pursuing my dream feels rather...mundane. But it's huge that I'm doing what I love, especially because I thought it was impossible to do so.

After completing grad school, I read the career advice book What Color Is Your Parachute? to figure out what sort of job I wanted. After doing the exercises in the book it turned out that crafting was my number one skill I loved to use. But how the hell was I going to find a job that would pay me to make stuff? When unemployment was forced on me while going through Canadian immigration in 2009, it allowed me to do some soul-searching, and I concluded that I have to love what I do when it comes to a job. During that time I reconnected with my crafty self and it led me naturally to what I'm doing now.

The best thing about having my own creative business is that I get to apply my favourite skills in addition to my best job skills. Doing the online vintage shop has been an educational experiment in e-commerce, and it's confirmed that I really love running my own business. So this has encouraged me to expand my entrepreneurial effort and start working on a second Etsy shop selling exclusively handmade goods I make. I'm excited but nervous too because there's always the risk of my products totally flopping. But risk is the name of the game when it comes to entrepreneurship. I won't ever know unless I try.

Anyway, I'm not writing this simply to gloat over how lucky I am. This is to remind myself that I should be grateful for the daily grind because I'm living "my dream." And none of this would be possible without the support of the Dude, who always encourages me do what makes me most happy. I'm immensely blessed to have a spouse like the Dude who "gets me" and takes my hopes and dreams seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment