6.07.2012

PARENTAL INFLUENCE ON MY TASTE IN MUSIC


NPR is currently doing a series asking people how their parents influenced their taste in music. So I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and highlight some of the music I grew up listening to because of my parents.

My dad introduced me to Frank Sinatra in the mid-1990's when he got Sinatra's Duets album. I probably would have discovered the greatness of Ol' Blue Eyes on my own later when I got into swing dancing. My favourite tune that Frank Sinatra sang is "I Thought About You," and my dad and I danced to it at my wedding. Listening to Frank Sinatra was probably the gateway into my discovery of jazz.



My mom introduced me to some pop icons of her youth, namely Simon & Garfunkel, The Carpenters, and ABBA. Although I was introduced to them when I was in high school, I didn't really come to appreciate them until I was in my 20's. One of my all time favourite songs to sing at karaoke is "Superstar" by The Carpenters. I probably came to love cheesy music because of all the ABBA and Carpenters songs I listened to.



So how about you? How have your parents shaped your taste in music, for better or worse?


2 comments:

  1. I adore The Beatles because of both of my parents. And Johnny Cash because of my grandpa =-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Krysten. I love The Beatles and Johnny Cash too!

      Delete